GENESIS: THE BEGINNINGS!
Genesis is the book of beginnings. Within the fifty chapters that make up this fascinating book of the Old Testament God exercises His creative power to bring the universe into existence by simply telling it to do so. Later we will see the creation of a special people with the calling of Abram. The Law is given later. Sadly, sin mars God’s ‘very good’ creation and so we also see the creation of a plan to redeem mankind back to the One True God. This very old book is very relevant to today.
Studying the Bible will transform your life. Before you open your Bible, pray and ask the Holy Spirit to open your heart to help you to be more like Christ.
**All Scriptures are given in the New King James Version unless otherwise noted.
4 And God saw the light, that it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. So the evening and the morning were the first day.
- ‘it was good’ – Everything that God creates is good – God is good!
- ‘the first day’ – there are some who do not believe in a literal six days of creation
- There are several different theories, including some that try to reconcile the theory of evolution to the creation account
- One of the basic rules of Bible interpretation is to always interpret the Bible literally unless the text indicates that it is symbolic
- There is nothing is Genesis 1 that gives us any indication that this is symbolic – ‘evening/morning = 1 day’
Download Pastor Rick's study notes for Genesis 1