GENESIS: THE BEGINNINGS!
Genesis is the book of beginnings. Within the fifty chapters that make up this fascinating book of the Old Testament God exercises His creative power to bring the universe into existence by simply telling it to do so. Later we will see the creation of a special people with the calling of Abram. The Law is given later. Sadly, sin mars God’s ‘very good’ creation and so we also see the creation of a plan to redeem mankind back to the One True God. This very old book is very relevant to today.
Studying the Bible will transform your life. Before you open your Bible, pray and ask the Holy Spirit to open your heart to help you to be more like Christ.
**All Scriptures are given in the New King James Version unless otherwise noted.
14 Then God said, “Let there be lights in the firmament of the heavens to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs and seasons, and for days and years; 15 and let them be for lights in the firmament of the heavens to give light on the earth”; and it was so. 16 Then God made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. He made the stars also. 17 God set them in the firmament of the heavens to give light on the earth, 18 and to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 So the evening and the morning were the fourth day.
- Here we have the creation of the sun, moon, and stars
- Anyone who looks up into the heavens on a clear night can’t help but be awed by the wonder of God’s creation
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows His handiwork.
- There is an interesting truth in these verses that we don’t want to miss
- As Christians, we have nothing to fear from science
- In fact, science regularly ‘discovers’ what the Bible proclaims
- And then look at how verse 16 ends ‘He made the stars also’
- Five words to describe the trillions times trillions of stars in the universe – focus on the Creator, not the creation!
Download Pastor Rick's study notes for Genesis 1